Anxious when walking outside alone?

WishingICould

I know it's not agoraphobia because when i'm with someone i'm fine. When i'm on my own though i feel extremely self concious, like there's a spotlight on me and everyone's looking at me. I've got to walk my dog soon and i'm dreading it. I hate it when a group of people walk towards me, especially people around my age or school kids. I don't know where to look and usually school kids are quite noisy and laugh loudly and i always feel like they're laughing at me. I can't even go shopping by myself, especially not clothes shopping, because i feel like everyone is looking at me. It's my Birthday tomorrow and i'm going out during the day to the city close to where i live. There's going to be a lot of people/crowds and i don't know how well i'm going to deal with it.

I see everyone else and they're just walking around without a care in the world, laughing and joking. I want to be like that but i don't think i ever will. I also have this fear of people shouting out of their cars or men beeping at me. It's so humiliating. If it were up to me i wouldn't go out but my dog needs a walk and it's cruel to not take her.

Last edited:

dmsteyn

First, let me congratulate you on your birthday! I hope you have a great time.

Second, I agree that it doesn't sound like classic agoraphobia. I also feel self-conscious when large groups of strangers surround me. It can definitely feel like kids are laughing at you, but I think it's important to realise that this is unlikely. My way of dealing with this is to squash the ANTs (automatic negative thoughts) as soon as they come up. Doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

laure15

When walking in certain areas outside of home, I feel anxious. It really depends on which area I'm in. I used to go shopping alone, but then I get very anxious because I see so many people around me. So I would wake up very early in the morning, around 6:30-8 AM and just go shopping during those times when there's very few people in the supermarket. Waking up early also means I don't have to see my neighbors. I actually prefer shopping with another person.

PS: Happy birthday and I hope you have fun.

VitalSign

I know exactly what you mean I feel the same way..I usually have a 'safe person' with me,like a safety blanket..is there someone you're close to or familiar with that would go with you?

lonelee1

I know it's not agoraphobia because when i'm with someone i'm fine. When i'm on my own though i feel extremely self concious, like there's a spotlight on me and everyone's looking at me. I've got to walk my dog soon and i'm dreading it. I hate it when a group of people walk towards me, especially people around my age or school kids. I don't know where to look and usually school kids are quite noisy and laugh loudly and i always feel like they're laughing at me. I can't even go shopping by myself, especially not clothes shopping, because i feel like everyone is looking at me. It's my Birthday tomorrow and i'm going out during the day to the city close to where i live. There's going to be a lot of people/crowds and i don't know how well i'm going to deal with it.

I see everyone else and they're just walking around without a care in the world, laughing and joking. I want to be like that but i don't think i ever will. I also have this fear of people shouting out of their cars or men beeping at me. It's so humiliating. If it were up to me i wouldn't go out but my dog needs a walk and it's cruel to not take her.

this is me exactly. just keep in mind that people are busy themselves and probably don't even notice us. it's all in our mind.

i think.

gustavofring

For me it depends. Sometimes I just spend too much time in the head and if that's the case, I tend to be anxious and opinionated about myself and the world. If I don't do anything good and productive, and spend too much time on my own I feel very worthless and self-concious. This also reflects in my general mood when going outside and meeting people.

"idle mind is the devil's workshop" rings true in my case. Being active and productive is the best remedy.

WishingICould

For me it depends. Sometimes I just spend too much time in the head and if that's the case, I tend to be anxious and opinionated about myself and the world. If I don't do anything good and productive, and spend too much time on my own I feel very worthless and self-concious. This also reflects in my general mood when going outside and meeting people.

"idle mind is the devil's workshop" rings true in my case. Being active and productive is the best remedy.

That's true. I tend to feel worse and worry/over-think when i'm alone. When i'm at work it's not as bad.

neardeath

for me it's like most of what you describe but being out alone just doesn't bring the same satisfaction as it did at some point in my life. I am always in a hurry and chicken out on half of my old adventures. I used to be pretty adventurous, too! This website helps me see things I wouldn't normally think about on my own because this old thinker is wasted.

cocorose

I feel like that when I'm crossing the street, especially a busy street. I just know everyone's looking at me, and I feel like I can't even walk right. But if I'm with someone it's fine.

Here's a story.. I used to walk alot, like hour/ hour and a half walks, and one day I decided I wanted to start running. (This was about 10 years ago). I started in the neighborhood I lived in, so not very busy streets. I used to stop when I saw cars coming because I was so embarrassed. Then one day I wanted to go outside the neighborhood and run on a street that was pretty busy. I tell you, I went about 10 feet and turned right around and went home. Eventually I got comfortable with it, and ran everyday on that street. This all sounds so silly when I'm writing it, and I can't believe I was ever that bad. Now I don't care. It helps if you have headphones on and listen to music, because when I'm running and have my music, I don't care about anything.

ImNotMyIllness

Immature guys will yell out their windows and honk their horns when they see a beautiful woman. Just realize that they're morons, that's what idiots do.

Kiwong

I think some of your fears are probably common for most anxiety sufferers.

For many years after high school, I had a problem walking when I thought people were watching me. At high school children followed and teased my walk and called me monkey man.

My favourite places are remotes beaches at dawn or dusk when there isn't a soul around.

Something-Vague

I am very similar- if I want to go for a walk outside, I never go by myself anymore. Instead, I usually ask a family member to go with me. This sucks because I enjoy nature and being outside- just not the fact that there are people outside that will potentially judge me or make me feel uncomfortable. I feel the same way about school kids and especially clothes shopping, which is why I do most of mine online.

Happy birthday! I don't know if you've already celebrated, but I hope that it goes/went well! Maybe it will be helpful to keep in mind that those individuals are probably focused on having their own good time and that you can (and should!) enjoy yourself as well. It may also help to keep in mind the other possibilities of why someone may be laughing or looking your way rather than the ones that involve them judging you. Even if an individual does judge you, that says a lot about their lack of character and personality than it does of your attributes. Of course realize this is way easier said then done, but perhaps this mindset will help.

As far as walking your dog goes, if you're anything like me, you tend to over think before you take an action and it may eventually lead to you avoiding it totally. I'm not sure if you already do this, but maybe it would be helpful for you to get ready as soon as your dog needs to go outside. In other words, put your shoes on, jacket, and/or whatever else you need and get out there. Don't allow yourself time to deliberate. Perhaps, you can put these belongings in a place that is easy to get at. Of course, this doesn't mean you should rush out the door and forget something, but I guess try not to let too much time pass. I know that for me at least, the more that I wait to do something, the less likely that I want to do it- even if it feels better in the moment.

I hope that this helps and I'm sorry if any of these is unwanted advice or if you've tried these methods before and that they didn't work. Again, I hope that everything went well with your birthday and if you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to message me!

WishingICould

Hi guys. Just to let you know I had a pretty good day. I went clothes shopping and the crowds didn't bother me that much. The only thing that I didn't like was some creepy guy asking if he could touch my hair. Yeah... Anyway, I'm home now. Thank you for all your nice messages. :)

dmsteyn

Hi guys. Just to let you know I had a pretty good day. I went clothes shopping and the crowds didn't bother me that much. The only thing that I didn't like was some creepy guy asking if he could touch my hair. Yeah... Anyway, I'm home now. Thank you for all your nice messages. :)

That's good to hear (not about the creepy guy; that you had a good day)
:)

Something-Vague

I'm glad that your day went okay! Sorry to hear about the creepy guy, though.

PGT

I hate birthdays too I feel like yea another year where I achieved nothing. If you feel bad having no life at 24 its worse at 34 hope I can change before 44 fingers crossed I am trying. I like walking alone and don't mind other people while outside as I can always just walk away, Its when I am in a room with other people I feel trapped and feel like I cannot escape.