Anxiety Success Story

Denkens

Hi guys,

I have just recently signed up as a member but I am not new to the forum. I have been visiting several forums through out my anxiety but never actually posted on any, because at that time even posting on a forum was something I was afraid of.

So why am I writing this?

I want to share with you my anxiety story and how I got out of it hoping that I can give some hope to the people reading through it that there is at least one who has recovered from anxiety and not all is lost. Before continuing I would like to tell you that English is my third language, so please excuse me for any mistakes I make.

I suffered from anxiety attacks for 6 months. In comparison to the stories I have read from other anxiety sufferers that is a relatively short period and I consider myself lucky for making it out in such a short time. But I think there is a reason for this and I give credit to several factors that helped me out a great deal.

Before me my mom suffered from a very severe state of anxiety at that time I didn't know that it will be me, out of two children, who will inherit this condition.

When I experienced my first panic attack I was living alone in another country. I was studying for a bachelors degree in a very expensive university and money was a big problem for me. I didn't even have a health insurance. And this is lucky factor one. When I had my first panic attack I couldn't afford to go to a doctor and I could not afford any medication.

Why is this a lucky factor?

When my mom was suffering from anxiety she was taking a lot of different pills which only made her feel worse. Her suffering was for 2 years and she decided that she can't take it anymore. What she did I am not going to say because I am afraid that there are other people foolish enough to think about stuff like that. My mom is 51 right now and living a normal happy life again, but since then I swore that I am never going to use any medication no matter the reason. Well I couldn't live to that promise because when my first panic attack happened it was the first thing I was looking for. Luckily for me I couldn't get any.

I got on the phone with my mom (actually on skype, who uses phones these days for long distance calls?) since she has gone through this already and then she carefully explained to me that it is just a process in my brain that my mind has learned to do. I have seen some posts on this topic before here on the forum. Take a look at them if you have the time. The last two links are articles outside the forum which I think contain useful information.
http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/new-found-way-to-naturally-overcome-anxiety-22349/
http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/pa...ng-power-of-the-brain-above-medication-24419/
How to Cure Panic Attacks
http://www.squidoo.com/Treatment-for-Panic-Attacks-and-Anxiety

Having a close person who also went through the same hell is the second factor that helped me to get out of my anxiety. Also I went on forums like these and read through the posts of other sufferers which reassured me that I am not the only one having this condition and that I am not going crazy.

During the six months of my anxiety I experienced panic attacks just twice and they caused enough damage and stole half a year of my life. Thanks to my mom my panic attacks were limited but I lived in constant fear during that time and obsessive thoughts were my biggest enemy. I went on with the belief that it is just in my head and now one year later I truly believe it is so. I am now healthy again and I hope that reading a success post will give you the belief and strength to overcome your anxiety.

Last edited:

LockieKermit

Welcome to the forum, im a little busy at the moment so I only skimmed but great job, I have come to a point where I can actually have girlfriend now! and I do have one.
I got this through therapy, and I believe a better lifestyle, more exercising, healther foods etc...

agoraphobickatie

thanks for sharing :) it's definitely nice to see people who feel they have overcome anxiety/panic!

and lockiekermit, i love to hear that you think living a better lifestyle helps! i need to get on that! it's something i've wanted to do for a looooong time (eat better, exercise, etc) but i've just always procrastinated =/ lol