Anxiety around Perceived mental AND physical threat

Something-Vague

From my understanding, social anxiety is based mostly upon fearing social situations and people due to perceived or actual judgment, embarrassment, and thus is largely about how people might seem mentally harmful or actually are. I struggle with and have been diagnosed with social anxiety, but I was wondering if anyone else with social anxiety experienced a perceived physical threat as well? Paranoia about potentially being physically harmed and/or not being able to defend oneself? If so, is there anything that you do that helps to relieve the anxiety? I find that when I almost have the strength to fight one aspect of my anxiety, it's another part that hinders me.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you did and I appreciate any thoughts/advice :)

Sacrament

I suppose people with social anxiety are generally more alert to possible dangers, most of them not even real. Some of them are probably physical, like fear of being mugged or assaulted and an inability to defend oneself (same as the inability to defend yourself in case someone tries to humiliate you, since you have anxiety which hinders most attempts to appear strong).

One advice I could give you would be to take some self defense classes, or karaté, stuff like that. It would help you feel more physically confident and able. Another thing you can do is to know the areas you usually visit on a daily basis, and avoid walking around at night in areas that you know aren't really safe, or that you are unsure of. Also, explore more, get to know new places and make yourself feel more at ease with certain areas of your town by exposing yourself to them.

Last edited:

SCP-087-1

I bulked up and learned how to fight. It helped me a bit. Pick a course that lets you practice on another person or find a sparring partner to practice with. You can learn all the techniques by yourself but if you never actually put it into practice you'll get your *** kicked in a real fight.

I'll probably receive some flak for recommending a weapon but if it's legal and you're responsible then I see know problem with it. Where I live it's illegal for me to carry a weapon of any kind so I don't. But if it's legal for you and you feel that you want to then make sure you practice using it and know how to handle it safely. And only pull it out if you have to. Don't just pull it out any time someone looks at you funny.

Don't get a weapon if you think that at some point in the future you may be a danger to yourself or to others