antidepressants without sexual side effects?

Miranda

All anti depressants have sexual side effects. It depends on how your body responds to the medicine. I have heard good things about Wellbutrin not interfering as much with sexual side effects. If you are really worried then stay clear of Effexor and Cymbalta.

Argamemnon2

Miranda said:
All anti depressants have sexual side effects. It depends on how your body responds to the medicine. I have heard good things about Wellbutrin not interfering as much with sexual side effects. If you are really worried then stay clear of Effexor and Cymbalta.
Are you sure though, why do they always say that you should tell your doctor (as if it's going to help), it doesn't make sense to me.

spaz

Celexa. I'm on 60 mg and I haven't had any problems. I wouldn't be taking it if it stopped me from jerking the gerkin!

villacjs

Miranda is spot on. Stay away from Effexor, I'm at 300mg while I achieve climax there is only slight pleasure. Not that I hate Effexor though, in my opinion it is great for depression.

KurtG85

Your unique brain chemistry will determine the extent of sexual side effects of meds, negative or positive, for yourself.

As mentioned, wellbutrin tends to not have negative effects in this area in fact often sexual pleasure is boosted.
Others meds I have tried that have had positive effects (not necessarily on label for depression): buspar, concerta, imipramine, thats all I can think of right now.

Argamemnon

KurtG85 said:
Others meds I have tried that have had positive effects (not necessarily on label for depression): buspar, concerta, imipramine, thats all I can think of right now.
Hi KurtG85, those did not have any sexual side effects for you?

KurtG85

First off, I take 5mg adderall (instant release) every 4-5 hours and this med has a catastrophic effect on quality of orgasm as well as sexual ability for me. I believe this to be because stimulants, especially ones heavy on l-amphetamine, tend to draw blood away from the extremeties and towards the heart which obviously corresponds to less blood being available downstairs. Again, this varies from individual to individual. I have seen hundreds of people who said they got the opposite effect from adderall. This is especially true of females who I believe are more sexually sensitive to the effects of dopamine which adderall releases a large amount of.

I have always been on adderall even when I trialed these meds I mentioned. If I were going to feel any sexual effects from all the meds I have tried they would have to be positive because on adderall alone I was already at a 0 on the scale of 1-10 in terms of sexual pleasure. For example, I remember one day when I ran out of adderall and all I was on was lexapro I got a few spontaneous erections in response to mild stimulus which hadn't occured in a long ass time since I started adderall. I take adderall for its improvement of my symptoms of social anxiety/panic and for its focusing effects.

No, those meds I mentioned didnt have any negative sexual side effects for me, thats not to say they didn't have plenty of other ones though.
Concerta especially had very positive effects in terms of sexual pleasure.

Lexapro for some reason actually helps my sexual ability a tiny bit.

Certainly you can take the advice of people like me to help you decide on which meds you want to try FIRST, but make sure you do yourself a favor and resolve yourself to the fact that you will not know whether you will get negative, or maybe even positive sexual side effects from a med until you try it yourself.