anger part of depression?

just wondering if anger is part of it? i was told recently to attend anger management. lately been having a hard time controlling my temper even with small matters.

Regret93

Anger results from feeling wronged by something/someone, and depression results from not being able to right those wrongs. I tried anger management in high school and it helped for the most part, but it's still really hard to learn to be humble, especially if you have struggled with anger for many years.

thanks for the information. i was told by my uncle earlier today to deal with my problems and to attend anger management. from his observation, i was losing it. dealing with too much stress and frustrations for many years, just want to escape from reality.

MollyBeGood

"Depression is anger turned inwards"

I heard that on the Sopranos :)

For me I became depressed at a young age when I became wise to all the hypocrisy and b.s. we are force fed. That in turn did make me angry and still does to this day.

I manage it though like any emotion.

Last edited:

morrowrd

anger is the easiest of all the emotions to get caught up in, and is a key player in depression. The system I follow when battling depression is to first recognize that I'm in it, the tell-tale signs are negativity. The red flag is what comes out of your mouth, pay attention to that. Are you complaining alot? About other people, circumstances, f this and f that...you get the picture. Pay attention as well to what you say even when you're alone, it all counts. Words we speak hit us hard, and help contaminate our perspective, which is one of the biggest players in personal depression. A contaminated perspective causes us to appear to others as angry, sometimes irrational. And it takes a force of will, consistency, and patience to fight off depression. When I find myself battling it, I watch what I say like a hawk, and stop myself if I'm about to complain or make negative comments. This isn't easy, but if you keep at it, you find yourself actually feeling better in a few days. You also break the cycle of speaking that way......until the next time of course and then you have to start the process again.

Don't feel bad, everyone deals with depression from time to time. It only becomes a problem when we don't deal with it, the right way.

lol i forgot the sopranos, such a good show but for me i hated the ambiguous ending.

anyways you guys are right. everyday life of work and people really did a good number on me. its not fun anymore, its draining to go to work, being with same people who always asks me to do this and that, stuck in a routine, and dealing with rude customers. end of the day im tired and pissed off. i just need a break from all this to get my self back if its possible. thanks for the advice, you guys have no idea how much a boost i need.

its a bad idea to work when you still have to fix yourself. every little bit of encouragement and advice helps.

Last edited:

Shymom

I would think so. Someone once told me "anger hides hurt" and it makes sense to me. I have had serious anger issues when my depression deepens. I tried CBT training but it really didn't work

awkwardamanda

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it can be. I remember reading somewhere that anger and hostility can be part of depression.

I've always had a horrible temper. I can't count all the times I've slammed doors, thrown things at the wall, thrown chairs over, and yelled and screamed so hard my throat hurt. I once broke a plate on purpose. I even threw my brother through a wall. (He was instigating.)

I think I've been kinda depressed my whole life but I never realized it until a few years ago. I've always been stressed out and just upset with life in general. I bottle everything up until I blow. Sometimes it's the tiniest thing that sets me off. I can only take so much crap and then some minor issue is the tipping point and I explode. Usually ends in me crying and being too upset to do anything - basically depressed for awhile. My mom always said it was like walking on eggshells around me.

Last year I got more depressed and more anxious and started having panic attacks. I finally went on an antidepressant (generic celexa) about three months ago. It helped the depression and anxiety for most part. They're not gone, but somewhat better anyway. But I've also been much less angry. I was kinda surprised by that. It's not something I had mentioned to my doctor. I still get pissed off sometimes, but I haven't had any real angry outbursts. If I had known that was gonna happen, I probably would have tried this stuff years ago.

It makes sense that anger issues would be tied in with mood disorders in general. A lot of times when I had these meltdowns I knew it was because I was depressed and anxious, not just immature and unable to control myself like people thought. My dad has told me to grow up plenty of times. Most of the time, he was the one that pissed me off in the first place.

I have to wonder if doctors ever prescribe these drugs (maybe off-label) for anger issues. If not, maybe they should.

When I'm depressed I'm far more likely to put a fist through a wall, door, car window (11 stitches), or cuss out a random person for getting mouthy at me. Depressed/mad equal me not caring what i destroy or who's feelings get hurt. I've got better than i used to be though but I'm not sure how i did it. I'm just not as violent anymore. Its really bad when I've lost loved ones, cause I'm already depressed and mad at the world.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Anger is usually part of depression. But it CAN manifest itself in other ways too.
Anger really isn't helpful in most situations, all you end up doing in the end is emotionally 'knotting' yourself up inside, and raising your blood pressure.
I used to be the same.
I actually became tired of being mad at everything, all the time. It was so exhausting.
I wanted to change, to feel more at peace inside myself.

So I learned to accept people can be j e r k s, things beyond my control are - beyond my control, and not everything I want, will come to be.

Try to find how to let go of your anger. You're only hurting yourself.
Good luck.

their are times i wish i could bash this guy's head in or talk down this girl who is a total b*tch. i followed all of your advice to exercise self-control and it seems to help. lately im exercising and reading books...seems to help burn all the negative energy stored in me.