Am i mental or is this OCD

Anonymous

Please help me. from about a year ago when i saw a program on television, ever since then i have had a fear that i would hurt someone, i cant go near knvies because im scared i loose control and hurt someone, i dont go near anything like that! i sound like a nut case but seriously, im not. ive had anxiety and depression for the lasr 4 years and im now 17.. i left school at 13 due to severe anxiety. im so scared, i seriously dont know what to do anymore. i dont want these thoughts in my head or these fears! can anyone tell me what this is???? i've never hurt or wanted to hurt anyone in my life! what is wrong with me??????????? :cry:

Anonymous

Another thing is, ive allways had things that i thought were a bit odd. like when i was young i would stroke the light switch before i went to sleep, if i didnt it wouldnt feel right. and i would allways have to step onto the first step with my left foot before going to sleep. HELP

Quixote

I'm afraid I don't know much about OCD, but as a child, up to maybe six or seven, I had a very similar problem to the one you described: every night, as I went to bed, I had to make sure the blanket and sheets were *perfectly* folded and smoothed out. Then I would carefully enter the bed from the front of it, trying really hard not to cause any wrinkle to form on the blanket's surface. In case of failure, I would go mad and couldn't sleep for a while. But as in your case, it went away with age.

By the way, you are pretty young, and out of personal experience I can tell you that anxiety related problems in general will tend to improve a bit with age, regardless of the amount of your effort or lack of it. Of course if you can work on the problem now and cure it, so much the better, but keep this in mind as comforting thought. Your brain will evolve and change over time, and you are not at all doomed to this condition. Good luck!

AB

Having an obessive thought about killing someone can be very scary and confusing. Don't worry, I know how you feel. For awhile, anytime I saw a knife sitting on the counter a terrible thought of me stabbing my husband would overwhelm me.
Did I want to do this? No. Did I have anything against my husband? No. You have to remind yourself, this is just a thought! Obsessive thoughts are always disturbing ones. I've had many, and they always seem to be about something that if it were to come true would ruin my life and the lives of the people I love. Something I have also learned though, these thoughts will never come true, because people with OCD will never let them.
I don't have the answers, like why does this happen, cause I don't know! But I do know that you are not the only one and that a lot of people suffer from this. I've tried the antidepressant route, but got the most from counselling. My advise is to find a support to work through it. Good Luck!

John_Ipswich

Hi

Just saw your message. Rest assured that you will never do what you fear you might do. I have ocd and I too have had "murderous" thoughts and felt compulsions when holding a knife. As you get olde rthese problems are lesslikely ytobother you. Believe it or not I sometimes laugh (tomyself)when i get this sort of urge I just make a private joketomy self about it.

Years ago when walking in subways I would imagine that i was stabbing someone who might be walking infront of me. I would "see"him fallling to the ground (in my imagination) -it quite amused me (my imagination can be so theatrical sometimes!!) Don't misundersatnd me - I'm not a sadist and wouldn't want to hurt a fly -but i just did not fight it - allow it to come and ofrom your mind.
It's not much of a problem now.

Relaxand don't worry about it -you're not crazy.

Surveys have also shown many people have "strange" thoughts!!

Best of Luck

John

Anonymous

Hey, thanks alot for the replies. its nice to know i'm not the only one, i think the thoughts have calmed down a bit, but they seem to come and go and have bad patches... Oh and for the above poster, hope your not an ipswich fan haha! i'm from norwich, and a norwich supporter. :wink:

Adfcom

Seems like OCD to me, i think the 1st thing you should know is that those thoughts arent really yours, sounds crazy eh? yes but thats the case with most people with problems like this.
There are number of reasons why people have OCD, one of those reasons could be lack of control, well thats actually the main reason for most mental problems but anyway form my own expirinces one of the cures is work.With work you will slowly get back your control, now i dont mean job, just some work at home or whatever that keeps you busy.

Anonymous

Imsoscared said:
Hey, thanks alot for the replies. its nice to know i'm not the only one, i think the thoughts have calmed down a bit, but they seem to come and go and have bad patches... Oh and for the above poster, hope your not an ipswich fan haha! i'm from norwich, and a norwich supporter. :wink:

Yeah you have an OCD..I have read about this particular OCD.

I fogot the name...but don't worry, your not alone.

monkeycrud

I know this is an old post, but i wanted to reply.

I have had many disgusting terrible thoughts, bad thoughts about things happening to people, especially people I love, and I think to myself "If it's not what I really think, why is it there?"
That's the hardest thing to get passed, having been told that even thoughts are sinful in my childhood, I ended up worrying that these things actually belong to me, and reflect what I really am.
You must remember your mind is capable of creating any scenario possible. So it's not your desire that's creating these horrible thoughts, more than likely it's your fear. Ignore it.

After my latest slippage I need to take my own advice!