Am I having anxiety attacks?

bigchris

Hey, I have HH and don't think I have social anxiety or anything, but just here to ask for some help.

I've recently started college, my first year around a month or so ago and last monday in one of my english lessons I was day dreaming a bit and started to get short of breath and it sort of felt like my asthma was getting bad. (I have asthma) I went to the toilets and used my inhaler and had a bit of a break and it went a way slightly.

After that everything else was fine until the history lesson last on a friday, I had an assessment to assess how we were doing in the subject and I have the same experience as English but much worse.

Once that lesson was over went to parties at the weekend and played football, and during my match I noticed I was getting short of breath, dizzy and couldn't concentrate. This is very strange for meas I have pretty much grown out of asthma and haven't had an asthma attack from exercise for maybe about 8 years. As sunday progressed I began having regular waves of this, feeling out of breath which were quite bad. I didn't go to college monday or today and wondering if I have some kind of chest infection. I really hope I can start going back to college and don't want to be like this.

I asked someone else and they suggested anxiety attacks so I've come here to ask you guys. My symptoms are;
tight, dry throat no matter how much I drink,
shortness of breathe
dizzyness at worst times

Thanks a lot, I appreciate any help.

Harleyq

It could be a series of panic attacks you're experiencing. They tend to come out of the blue, which can cause agoraphobia, because people become afraid of getting a panic attack cause they don't know when it'll hit them. You've been in college for a short time, so you might be experiencing an adjustment disorder, if you're having problems making the big switches from highschool and home to college and apartment/dorm living.

But if I were you, I'd probably go to the campus nurse and get checked out just in case the problem isn't anxiety. Especially since you've said you're not a particularly anxious person.

bigchris

It could be a series of panic attacks you're experiencing. They tend to come out of the blue, which can cause agoraphobia, because people become afraid of getting a panic attack cause they don't know when it'll hit them. You've been in college for a short time, so you might be experiencing an adjustment disorder, if you're having problems making the big switches from highschool and home to college and apartment/dorm living.

But if I were you, I'd probably go to the campus nurse and get checked out just in case the problem isn't anxiety. Especially since you've said you're not a particularly anxious person.

In UK college people usually live at home and yeah I can totally agree with the worry that this will happen at college.

I am a sort of anxious person, I was very anxious starting college but last week I was totally relaxed with it all, which is when it hit me...

-Remus, thanks, yeah I may go see a doctor tomorrow as it's not getting any better. Is there much they can actually do?

Last edited:

whysoserious?

I had a simular thing happen to me, I was at the cinema which was pretty full so i sat on the end of the row (easy escape) when out of the blue i got really dizzy and hot really fast. I must have passed out or something because i woke up kinda leaning over the edge sweating and shaking feeling sick as a dog and panting.
Then a few weeks later i was at work on a shift i dont regulary do, so during the morning meeting the same thing happened again. I got shouted at by the manager because he thought i was sleeping, i felt like shit the whole day.

I've been to the doctors about this and had blood tests, blood pressure tests every thing was fine i was told if it happens again go to the hospital.
I'm wondering if it had anything to do with being surrounded by people i didnt know and i just freaked out (there all looking at me/ talking about me etc..).
I am scared of it happening again and every time i get too warm i start to get nervous im just gonna black out and drop, is this some kind of panic attack ?

bigchris

I had a simular thing happen to me, I was at the cinema which was pretty full so i sat on the end of the row (easy escape) when out of the blue i got really dizzy and hot really fast. I must have passed out or something because i woke up kinda leaning over the edge sweating and shaking feeling sick as a dog and panting.
Then a few weeks later i was at work on a shift i dont regulary do, so during the morning meeting the same thing happened again. I got shouted at by the manager because he thought i was sleeping, i felt like shit the whole day.

I've been to the doctors about this and had blood tests, blood pressure tests every thing was fine i was told if it happens again go to the hospital.
I'm wondering if it had anything to do with being surrounded by people i didnt know and i just freaked out (there all looking at me/ talking about me etc..).
I am scared of it happening again and every time i get too warm i start to get nervous im just gonna black out and drop, is this some kind of panic attack ?

Woah, I'm not that bad at all, I ocassionally get dizzy, glad I don't pass out though.

bigchris

Been to the doctor. She constantly kept asking me if I had any worries or if anything was up.. which there wasn't any. Apparently some people get rushes of adrenaline for some reason or another, which is whats happening to me and that I just need to learn to control it and it'll just go away. My heart rate, blood pressure, breathing were all good. Anyone got this, anyones thoughts?