Afraid of talking to your own friends and family?

Fey

When I was younger I didn't have much support for depression, so I didn't really talk about it. Not even to school counselors when I was in school. Things aren't so bad anymore but I don't know if I'm "better".

I've gotten closer to my family as an adult and have made some new friends, but sometimes I just don't spend time around people at all because I'm afraid of what I'm going to look like when I'm having bad days. I can't be upbeat, funny, or focused. I overthink everything. I slack off on cleaning my apartment and let things pile up so I don't even want my family to see and things are truly bad again.

Does anyone else get like this?

Marc7

Well I am not exactly then same way but I don't want to talk to my old friends if I see them or family because them I might be in a predicament where I have to tell them about my mental illnesses and not everyone is as accepting.

Louco

I avoid my family at all costs. Half of them are too successful to understand SA crippled me, and will possibly kill me, so they think I can just wake up tomorrow and decide my life will be amazing from now on. The other half think I had it coming for not having Jesus in my life. All of them try to lecture me, and I will not let any them trample over me, so I think my distance is for the best.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Glad to hear I'm not the person who feel this way with family.

I avoid my family at all costs. Half of them are too successful to understand SA crippled me, and will possibly kill me, so they think I can just wake up tomorrow and decide my life will be amazing from now on.

All of them try to lecture me, and I will not let any them trample over me, so I think my distance is for the best.

Aye, it's exactly the same for me. Though, my family are in complete denial about my SA. Keep saying I'm shy and ah just need to be more outgoing.

On top of that, they can't even empathise or understand how difficult my cerebral palsy makes my life. :sad:
The closest they come to that is: "Ah know it's difficult for you at times" At times?! Aye right, all the time more like.

Plus, ah better not dare saying anything critical of any of ma family otherwise they go into a rage, because they can tale constructive criticism well. Yet, they spent my formative years telling me how useless I was. But naw, cannae say the same of them. Strange how wimmin want to be equal men, yet crumb at the very notion of being criticisized. Or at least, the ones in my immediate famly. Don't want to generalise...

Louco

Glad to hear I'm not the person who feel this way with family.

Aye, it's exactly the same for me. Though, my family are in complete denial about my SA. Keep saying I'm shy and ah just need to be more outgoing.

On top of that, they can't even empathise or understand how difficult my cerebral palsy makes my life. :sad:
The closest they come to that is: "Ah know it's difficult for you at times" At times?! Aye right, all the time more like.

Plus, ah better not dare saying anything critical of any of ma family otherwise they go into a rage, because they can tale constructive criticism well. Yet, they spent my formative years telling me how useless I was. But naw, cannae say the same of them. Strange how wimmin want to be equal men, yet crumb at the very notion of being criticisized. Or at least, the ones in my immediate famly. Don't want to generalise...

I don't even bother telling them I also have a serious ADHD which always made me feel like half of my brain is never working, causing enough trouble to probably being the reason why I have SA now.

Maybe I'm a little too bitter though, I don't know. I also stay away because even if they don't come to teach me how to not suck at life, they only talk about how busy they are with college life, how they are going abroad to specialize now that they have a degree, promotions at work, new relationships, how the babies are growing... Makes me feel out of place. It's not that I would like to give a good impression or be respected or something like that, the problem is that I literally have nothing to say. I have no job and I dropped college, besides trying to survive and not going mad I'm not doing anything. I don't feel like bringing something else to talk about with these people if they clearly don't want to move from their awesome lives as the subject.