that ring in with the birds who sing.
His heart is pure and beauty grows
wherever this bright poet goes.
He plants his dreams in tidy rows
and always reaps just as he sows.

This poet writes in spritely song,
ne'er wishes ill or dares do wrong.
He dances 'round in bright parades
and takes his rest in song filled glades.

But one there is who never sings:
he mourns and writes of darker things;
of autumn's chill and tattered wings;
of shattered dreams and tarnished rings.
Melancholy and words are part
of this sad poet's lonely art.
He idles, waiting to depart
a cruel world and a crueller heart.

Hope passes by while Time assails
those guardian beams and twisted nails
which hold his dreams in urns and veils.
He tries his best. But his best fails.

One poet lives his life in dreams
and thrives on others' high esteem;
the other locks his dreams away,
allowing them to age and fade.

Eyes lose their luster, beauty fades.
Each takes a place in cracked arcades.
Reluctant dreams in chains 'til death:
Eternity in captive rest.

I mentioned something about writing this in another post, and figured I'd post it. I posted it months ago in a different thread, so here it is on it's own. Let's see how well it fares, shall we?

:D

Last edited:
I like the phrase 'tarnished rings'. What came to my mind was the image of a man looking at his tarnished wedding ring. The reminder of a failed marriage. And he is looking at it and placing his hands on the porcelain white kitchen sink.

DanFC

Wow, this is amazing, you really know how to pull off lyrical rhyming. Write more!

Edit: And I'm not just saying this is good like "ah, you inspired me but you don't really know what your doing", but rather like "this was really well written, are you a professional?".

Tiercel

What came to my mind was the image of a man looking at his tarnished wedding ring. The reminder of a failed marriage. And he is looking at it and placing his hands on the porcelain white kitchen sink.

When I wrote this I was comparing all the perceived successes of my cousin with all the perceived (and real) failures of myself. And while I haven't had any failed marriages yet, perhaps someday.... ;)

Maybe you should mention underneath it that you actually wrote this great poem yourself!!

To prevent any undue confusion, I guess I will. :D

Wow, this is amazing, you really know how to pull off lyrical rhyming. Write more!

Edit: And I'm not just saying this is good like "ah, you inspired me but you don't really know what your doing", but rather like "this was really well written, are you a professional?".

Not a professional. I just always did well in English classes. :cool:

I'm not a fan of poetry, but this is just amazing, very well written!
I'd like to read more from you.

I've posted a few other poems on here in the year or so I've been a member. So if you really want to read more you can scrounge around. But I'll warn you that this is one of my best.... ::eek::

And thanks for the compliments, guys. I know I tend to be less than serious with some of my posts, but it honestly feels good knowing that something I've done is at least somewhat presentable.

And I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but about a week ago I woke up with an inkling to write a poem about social phobia. Since then I've been thinking over a first line, trying to decide on silly things like meter, rhyming scheme, and even what the hell I'd put in it. But it's been a while since I tried to write anything, so maybe I'll see if I'm any good....