gustavofring

I think I might have anxiety related high blood pressure. I'm very stressed out lately, anxious, trouble breathing, painful chest when having anxious thoughts, sometimes one eye turns red from popped vessels.

I haven't seen the doctor for it. Well I saw the doctor for depression and ADD, but she sent me to the psychiatrist. Haven't made that call yet. I think in general I need to move more, laugh more, relax more and have a more regular sleep pattern. I've just been very stressed out for a long time and that's taking the toll.

Jimsie

I have white coat hypertension which means that my blood pressure raises much higher every time i get it checked by a doctor. It is normal at all other times though.

I think this is due to my anxiety around anything medical. It is a bit of a strange phenomenon and a bit worrying but I don't need to take anything for it yet.

gustavofring

I have white coat hypertension which means that my blood pressure raises much higher every time i get it checked by a doctor. It is normal at all other times though.

I think this is due to my anxiety around anything medical. It is a bit of a strange phenomenon and a bit worrying but I don't need to take anything for it yet.

Then how do you check what your blood pressure is when there are no doctors around? Do you have your own blood pressure monitor?

gwennaelle

You can buy blood pressure monitors at most drug stores here in the U.S., over the counter. They aren't terribly expensive ~$50USD?
Not sure how it works in the Netherlands, but I'm assuming you can also easily purchase them at your local drug stores, too.

Jimsie

Then how do you check what your blood pressure is when there are no doctors around? Do you have your own blood pressure monitor?

I had to have a 24 hour blood pressure monitor on which showed my blood pressure to be normal at all other times. I wasn't really doing much that day but it would be interesting to know how it would have been if I was in some social situations.

I tried a home testing kit and my blood pressure was high even when I was using that. I think its just knowing that its being taken that makes me anxious.

gustavofring

I see, I googled for it and indeed you're right, they have it at some stores. I've never noticed it haha. I'll look for one soon.

Barry1979

One would think that my blood pressure would be sky high (doctors even say they don't understand it) but mine us usually always around 110/60-65. But I am very, very physically active in regards to exercising and stuff....so maybe that equals it out for me.

tenuous~hold

i've had high blood pressure for years.. seems to have started when i was really stressed out about quitting my state job way back when. i don't think it ever really left, but got bad again when i was unemployed for a long time & was seeking a job at a hospital (where they did a lot of testing).

i've taken meds for it, but not as much as prescribed. i don't even have health insurance now, & doubt i will anytime soon (maybe never), so it's very difficult to get prescriptions, obviously.

did you know your blood pressure changes, depending on the time of day also? usually lower in the a.m. & rises during the day/night.

at one time i heard they were thinking of changing the "standards" since most people had at least slightly high bp, but i don't think they ever did it.

Barry1979

My dad is 56 years old and has high blood pressure since he was a teen and he was always active and in good shape ..... has what his doctors call (uncontrolable high blood pressure) for years. They say his is as bad as it gets and I often wonder if I will eventually develope it as well. He takes like 20 damn pills per day. They tell him its a miracle nothing too bad has happened yet.

My blood pressure was really high today when my doctor checked it 160/100 and that was in the morning. I did a blood test today too and my doctor told me to come back after 1 week to check my blood pressure again. One night I was feeling really bad and one eye turned red too, i'm also having vision problems in that eye.

MrJones

My blood pressure is too high, I have yet to see the doctors (next month, I think) to see if I need medication for this.

Lea

Banned
One would think that my blood pressure would be sky high (doctors even say they don't understand it) but mine us usually always around 110/60-65. But I am very, very physically active in regards to exercising and stuff....so maybe that equals it out for me.

About the same here, I usually have low blood pressure, and also do excercise.
I think high blood pressure can be due tu eating a lot of meat?

Barry1979

About the same here, I usually have low blood pressure, and also do excercise.
I think high blood pressure can be due tu eating a lot of meat?

My dad eats meat daily. I eat it ever so often but you have the types who have to have it with every meal and my dad is one of them. Also I have never been big on eating fast food and do not eat it very often, also not a big soda (we call it pop here in Kentucky) drinker.

Lea

Banned
My dad eats meat daily. I eat it ever so often but you have the types who have to have it with every meal and my dad is one of them. Also I have never been big on eating fast food and do not eat it very often, also not a big soda (we call it pop here in Kentucky) drinker.

Yeah, I was just thinking about my mum who eats meat a lot, also drinks coffee and has HBP. When I was a carer I´ve seen many people who ate a lot of meat and ended up with obesity and stroke. This said, I think people´s digestive systems are not always the same so even if they eat the same food, the body deals with it differently.

mikebird

Banned
My initial problem which was a bit weird a took a while to see it. Went to an optician when one eye was hard to use. I had a blotchy retina on one side, lacking detail, thinking I'd need glasses.

No. Ramipril fixed it by reducing blood pressure, as the retina recovered. Now on 5mg rather than the original 10mg. Now I'm told about bad blood pressure, and chloresterol! So I get simvastin too. More pills! Feeling like an ancient man in my thirties

tenuous~hold

i've never heard of it having to do with eating meat.

of course they say salt (but i won't give up salty foots)... it has a lot to do with genetics, age, etc..

really a lot of people end up having high blood pressure when they're older.