coyote

I think I learned quite a lot of my avoidant behavior and anxieties from my family. Looking back at how we related, and how different members of my family have behaved in their lives, it makes sense.

On the one hand, this explains how pervasive or ingrained my fears and coping mechanisms are, and how difficult they can be to overcome - since I learned them from such an early age (I believe), they are quite literally part of who I am.

On the other hand, it helps to see how irrational and destructive my thinking is by looking to see how badly the same types of thinking and/or behavior did for other members of my family. I can use that as a reminder of how I don't want to be.

boosh

i seem to be the only one with it for some reason. the worse thing is that both of my older brothers who are 9 and 13 years older than me are both outgoing and easy going people with lots of friends. makes me feel like the runt of the family...

lyricalliaisons

No, I'm the only one, unless there are people in my extended family I don't know of. My parents, grandparents, half-brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. all have "normal" social lives. (Well my grandparents did when they were alive.) I've never heard anyone talk of anyone who kept to themselves or was overly quiet or anything, either. I seem to be the only one in the family.

Luna1740

Everyone in my immediate family outside of one of my sisters suffers from severe anxiety past/present

Ignace

I'm the only one, everyone else is the opposite of me. They can't shut up and always wanna know everything why i don't talk much to them, ... Good that's over since I'm not going to gatherings & 'parties' now.

Zeyla

I don't really know my extended family, and although my immediant family is full of dysfunctions. My Mum might have it, it's hard to say though. Because of other dysfunctions, my family pretty much never goes out anywhere.

Fighter86

I believe my mom has it, not exactly SA but she exhibits symptoms of it when I observe her closely, and I believe its because of her that I inherited SA, my brother has some social issues, but they are nothing as extreme as my. My dad's the opposite though, now, if only I could be like him.

Ignace

I believe my mom has it, not exactly SA but she exhibits symptoms of it when I observe her closely, and I believe its because of her that I inherited SA, my brother has some social issues, but they are nothing as extreme as my. My dad's the opposite though, now, if only I could be like him.

Exact same situation here except for the brother !:D