whats a panic attack

GloomySunday

I think the severity of it, and the things that trigger it, are different for everyone - but, basically, it's the body's "fight or flight" response being activated for no good reason. It's a bolt of adrenaline going through the system which can cause rapid heartbeat, shaking, sweating and a sense of heightened awareness to everything. I used to get them all the time though they've tapered off a bit of late. I had a mild one about a month ago but I just calmed myself before it got too far. If you're in public it can be more intense because you panic about being seen in a state of panic...and so it can intensify.

strawberrybrunette

I had one in my photography class today. Had to walk out before i got over-whelmed. That was embarassing.

Panic attacks vary from person to person, but when i get them, it almost feels like drowning - an incredible sense of helplessness. Palpitations sometimes, hyper-ventilating sometimes, hyper-sensitivity - ie. loud noises and bright lights hurt. Very dazing and confusing.

Remus

Staff member
sheer utter terror, panic is too mild a word :!:

really helpes you to ride them out though and keep riding them out no matter what the situation, I think that is the hardest thing ever to do but it bloody works eventually

Slothrop

It's comparable to a mixture of familiar sensations: dizziness, the lightheadedness you get from standing up too quickly, tingling numbness in your hands, cold sweating, nausea. It can be like all of these things, plus the sense of fear you would experience in a life or death situation, even if you're conscious of the fact that it isn't really a life or death situation.

Some might find this physiological description of a panic attack helpful or interesting.

I remember when I had my first one when I was 18 and I didnt know what was going on, my mum was convinced I had taken drugs.

I thought I was gonna die, it felt like I could only breathe in just enough air to stay alive and thinking what if i dont get enough air in my next breath. I was dizzy & lightheaded and my vision was messed up like when I stand up too fast and get a head rush. That & uncontrollable shaking & heart racing.

Its not as bad now I know im not gonna die.

Birdman

Quick_Cutterz said:
I remember when I had my first one when I was 18 and I didnt know what was going on, my mum was convinced I had taken drugs.

I thought I was gonna die, it felt like I could only breathe in just enough air to stay alive and thinking what if i dont get enough air in my next breath. I was dizzy & lightheaded and my vision was messed up like when I stand up too fast and get a head rush. That & uncontrollable shaking & heart racing.

Its not as bad now I know im not gonna die.

Woah that sucks , and your mom thought you were taking, what happened afterwards to you bro

Birdman said:
Woah that sucks , and your mom thought you were taking, what happened afterwards to you bro

She just didnt believe me when I said that I hadnt taken drugs, but later on in the week my sister came to visit my mum & my sis heard what happened & she said about her friend getting symptoms like that when she has a panic attack.

My mum always knew how anxious I would get in social situations so she believed me so it was all good in the end. I woulda got chucked out the house if it wasnt for my sis.