what sort of people wind up in mental institutions

thelostworld

i was just thinking b/c u see all these movies of people in mental asylums and they're portrayed as bonkers usually..most of them probably have schizophrenia and psychosis but i wonder if social phobics ever go there? anybody ever been in one?

Remus

Staff member
I've got a few SA mates who have been in such places, they seem pretty OK to me, the only time I see them go loopey is when they drink on thier meds

ppaul

i used to work in an asylum, well not quite, it was a small scale home for the mentally ill.

no SA's in there. mostly schizophrenia and bipolar.

id rather be SA than schizophrenic. schizophrenia is hell.

LittleMissScareAll

I was threatened to be put in one for awhile, but not because of my social phobia...it was because my therapist thought I might commit suicide. She said if my suicidal thoughts got worse she could have me put in against my will if she had to. But I never had to go, because I stopped going to the therapist, and apparently she doesn't care anyway, and forgot all about me because they never came looking for me.

clairet

an interesting question. I often think I'm gonna end up in the looney bin (well used to, bit better now but never say never eh!)

I used to feel so miserable driving on the way to work that I used to swear to myself that I'd sign myself in after work in the evening- never did though, the relief of leaving work always left me feeling high and I just used to go straight home instead! Nothing like getting up early eh to make you wanna sign yourself into a mental institution. Which reminds me, is anybody here, more anxious and down in the mornings than in the evenings :?:

clairet

an interesting question. I often think I'm gonna end up in the looney bin (well used to, bit better now but never say never eh!)

I used to feel so miserable driving on the way to work that I used to swear to myself that I'd sign myself in after work in the evening- never did though, the relief of leaving work always left me feeling high and I just used to go straight home instead! Nothing like getting up early eh to make you wanna sign yourself into a mental institution. Which reminds me, is anybody here, more anxious and down in the mornings than in the evenings :?:

nicola_maire

hmm, yehinteresting, but i think whast people need to know is anxiety is not a retardation of the brain. social phobia is a phobia, like being afraid of spiders, phobia, the one reason its taken so seriosly is genraly a speacies shouldnt be afraid of its own speacies (hypertheticly) so when u have a phobia which affects your life as much as social phobia, these are phobia which r taken emensly seriously. even in personaility disorders, not all r put into nutt homes inless proven dangerous to them selves or others.
a basic example of what a personilty disorder is:

say there is 5 elements that make up personality all differnt
.humour
.kind
.supportive
.empathic
.bold

ok now someone with a personality disorder (avoident in this care)
.scared to make jokes due to bein scared of bein judged
.scared to be kind, being taken advantage off
.not supportive incase gets let down
.no enphasis becasue believes no one cares about anybody
.bold will not even come under the section

see how a personality disorder is made up? thats the main differnce between Avpd and SP. the fact the avoidence is due personailty where aviodence is the personilty, or more rules the personality. and not by exssesive fear, even tho thats a syptom of AvPd. also people with AvPd have alot more paranioa,a nd r much more intovert. i suggest checking out an AvPD forum, its quite interesting and you cna learn more by reading people post than any text book

xxxx :oops: