WANT OTHER STORIES OF INTRUSIVE (OBSESSIVE) THOUGHTS

racough

Hello

I am writing a paper, not a formal or professional paper, but something to explain real OCD to my friends and other people whom I go to for assistance.

So I would like others to email me at [email protected] to let me know what their obsessions (as I mention below, better described as intrusive thoughts) are.

Most people, including people in the social service fields, do not realize the difference between the colloquial or layperson’s use of the term, OCD, and the professional (DSM-V) use of the term.

To most people OCD consists of mainly washing hands; or perhaps having a spotless and super tidy room. I am tired of people telling me their old roommate Tommy or Suzy was OCD between they insisted on keeping the apartment super clean.

I also get the impression that most people treated OCD as a type of over achievement; an OCDer as someone who is a neat freak, control freak or a perfectionist.

There is great confusion over the term “obsession” as people think of it as a desire (latent or other wise), and something to do with pleasure. “Oh if you knew of my obsession with good-looking blondes” or I am obsessed with vanilla ice cream.

I prefer to substitute “intrusive thoughts” for the term “obsession.” I so wish the medical community would change the name of OCD to something else.

What I would like if for others to email me what their intrusive thoughts are.

I want the testimony of many others to illustrate there is nothing pleasurable in OCD.

I also want other to know that the obsessions, which are the root cause of the compulsive behaviors, is not addiction, lust, or intense desire for something that brings pleasure or enjoyment.

I do not need the identity of anyone but if you could give a brief description of yourself like age, gender, how long you have had OCD, etc. So please email me at [email protected].