Struggling with OCD

Adoyle135

I'm nineteen and I can't seem to get past my OCD, which has been going on for about a year now. It's hard to be optimistic. I have plans to see a pchychiatrist, a CBT, and even an allergist (I read somewhere that food allergies could contribute to OCD) to adress the problem. I saw a psychologist the the other day who estimated that the intensity of my OCD was an 8/10. I really hope I can get better. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Barry1979

I started dealing with mine (pure-O) at about your age, I am 32 years old now. It will get easier with time/years as you learn more and more about it. The best advice I can give is just to fully educate yourself on it and read, read, read/study about it all the time. That is what I have done and I am not joking I could probably be a damn therapist......there is probably nothing about OCD someone could tell me about that I dont understand or have not dealt with myself. It can be soooooo difficult to deal with at times but as time passes and you get used to it....it can be managed. Its been a VERY long road thus far and its something I will deal with for the rest of my life (and I am fine with that) but educating yourself about it can go a long ways in easing its intesity.

Last edited:

Zak

I'm in the same boat as you Adoyle, I'm 21 and mine started to hardcore flare up at age 19. I didn't even know that I had OCD until I was almost 20. But it got pretty bad. You are definitely doing the right thing seeing the psychologist right away (I still need to do that). After only 2 years or so I completely understand your pessimism, I'm still extremely pessimistic. I've decided a few days ago that I need to start signing up to volunteer. Then I will be helping somebody else out, and also combating my OCD symptoms (sounds and harsh chemicals mostly bother me). I can say though at least I understand now what is going through my head, still can't fix it though lol...