Social Anxiety & Immaturity

xmisunderstoodx

Does social anxiety have to do anything with immaturity? When I go out in public or communicate with others. I feel nervous, shaky, body's on fire, I don't know what to say, when to say it, or how to say it. The harder I try to act 'normal' the more stupid I feel. Ugggh! They say to stop being self conscious to stop thinking so much. Then it's "use your brain" but stop overthinking things. My mom gets sooo upset about simple, little things and curses me out. It makes me not want to talk to her if I don't have to. She's okay for one moment then she's in a bad mood with me the next.

The things she says to me like "you're not too smart", "you sound stupid", "you look stupid", "you can't go to college", "you're a dumb a**, silly **** ****. She humiliates me in public also.

I try to ignore but it makes me feel worthless and it shows as being immature.

jaim38

Good point. I think there's a correlation between both. Immaturity in some people means lack of social skills which leads to awkwardness in social situations which can lead to development of social anxiety. My mom's also kinda immature for her age, which I believe has an influence on her children's development. Too bad I didn't have any good role models in life to imitate.

Buda

Probably as no correlation at all as we have a lot of non "social anxious" quite immature, well completely je(R)ks to be more accurate! About your mom that's not very supportive special coming from the people that we should trust and are in long way responsible for our education, seems a very bad role model as well!

sahxox

Does social anxiety have to do anything with immaturity? When I go out in public or communicate with others. I feel nervous, shaky, body's on fire, I don't know what to say, when to say it, or how to say it. The harder I try to act 'normal' the more stupid I feel. Ugggh! They say to stop being self conscious to stop thinking so much. Then it's "use your brain" but stop overthinking things. My mom gets sooo upset about simple, little things and curses me out. It makes me not want to talk to her if I don't have to. She's okay for one moment then she's in a bad mood with me the next.

The things she says to me like "you're not too smart", "you sound stupid", "you look stupid", "you can't go to college", "you're a dumb a**, silly **** ****. She humiliates me in public also.

I try to ignore but it makes me feel worthless and it shows as being immature.

Is it possible to move out of this negative environment? It's hard when we need them most because we are vulnerable with SP. They can be insiduous in their actions.

Fighter86

I think it depends on individuals really. SA compounds my immaturity, without SA obviously things would be alot improved but I don't know if I would be more mature. Probably, probably not, but one thing I am certain is I would certainly have many more options in life. Now I choose the options I choose because I have no other options. Can't be picky when life doesn't give other choices.

A86

I am with sahxox on this one. no one should be consistently receiving such negative feedback, especially from a parent. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the primary culprit for any self-doubt, low self esteem and social anxiety.