internet therapy?

GissmoTo

How do you guys think about e-therapy (internet therapy) for social phobia? :idea: Please tell me if someone has exprience the therapy delivered via internet for social phobia.
:twisted:

Scottish_Player

I dont think internet therapy would work very well unless the person has very strong will power, because there is no real feedback from it like someone to tell you the rights and wrongs for you personaly and alot of long reading is involved which can become boring.

Hope iam not picking it up wrong and you mean like a 1 to 1 online thing.

tehStranger

I don't mind the idea of internet therapy. I think it's actually a bit cool, in concept.

Some things though have to be delt medically however and with proper therapy. The paraxitine(sic) which I went off of and returned has helped, maybe in time I can wean myself off it. Some things just take time for some people. It's just the way it is.

:roll: :evil: 8)

Privacy issues are also a large conern with this. I espeically would hate to be stabbed in the back scammer. :x Sometimes a more direct but gentle aproach can work. :D
:idea:

:wink:

but it's not alway neccesary, :idea: :idea: :idea:

Some things just need to be solved on their own. with time :arrow:

fact of life :idea: :?: :?: :idea: :idea:

Higolo

I don't really believe internet therapy works , you need to face your anxieties and do it in real life. It's just my opinion though.

tehStranger said:
I don't mind the idea of internet therapy. I think it's actually a bit cool, in concept.

Some things though have to be delt medically however and with proper therapy. The paraxitine(sic) which I went off of and returned has helped, maybe in time I can wean myself off it. Some things just take time for some people. It's just the way it is.

:roll: :evil: 8)

Privacy issues are also a large conern with this. I espeically would hate to be stabbed in the back scammer. :x Sometimes a more direct but gentle aproach can work. :D
:idea:

:wink:

but it's not alway neccesary, :idea: :idea: :idea:

Some things just need to be solved on their own. with time :arrow:

fact of life :idea: :?: :?: :idea: :idea:

Not with an anxiety disorder, sadly :(

It depends on what exactly you mean by internet therapy. Personally I believe the only way to overcome SA is to change deep rooted beliefs, insecurities, fears, etc. I think putting yourself into a situation you fear - such as graded exposure does not work, unless your anxiety is only minor. And the reason I say that is because putting yourself in a situation does not change you beliefs, fears, insecurities. I think you know what you are capable of doing and putting yourself in anything past your limit is just dangerous, you can mess up terribly and think even worse of yourself.

So I think internet therapy can work if you are learning to change beliefs, learning to put things back into reality and perspective. For years I have been worrying and been so self conscious about my nose - which I think is big. Only recently I have thought - why do I worry about this? Anyone who thinks bad of me for my nose - well I don't like them - why do I care what someone thinks who I don't like - they are so shallow to judge me as a person just on my nose. Anyone who doesn't judge me negatively because of my nose - well why do I need to worry? They are not judging me badly so I need not worry, I should be confident and let my personality which I like shine through. It just puts things into some perspective of how stupid this fear of mine is about people seeing my nose. I am starting to realise all of our fears and insecurities with regard SA are just total nonsense. Does anyone else really care about these things we worry about? Do you care about certain things about people? Like their personality, confidence, looks, intelligence, etc? Of course not. Our fears are so self involved and we need to realise this and desensitise these things in order to move on. And therefore I think internet therapy can work - if you are learning to change beliefs and understanding things better then that is brilliant. But you have to work on these things, don't dwell on problems, be pro-active and have a goal of wanting to beat SA.

Milkdrops

Internet Therapy?!?! I dont think the internet can do much when it comes to helping social anxiety although I have found myself getting confidence boosts when talking to individuals I have met from chatrooms and places and they have said i'm a nice guy and a nice charracter. It kind of gives me a little self esteem boost. I think thats the only way the internet can help in terms of dealing with social anxiety.

GissmoTo

Do you believe that social phobic people’s social activities in a cyber world give a certain influence to improve the real-world’s personal relationship?

young

Scottish_Player said:
I dont think internet therapy would work very well unless the person has very strong will power, because there is no real feedback from it like someone to tell you the rights and wrongs for you personaly and alot of long reading is involved which can become boring.

That's really not to far from a real therapists. In my experiences, and it may just be my experinces, but the therapists I've seen didn't really give much feedback. They seemed cold and lifeliss. They'd nod their head. And ask a question or two. Right somethind down. And just sit there all creepy like.

Jack-B

Gissmoto,

Excellent.

If you read my post titled 'are you with us?' you will get a flavour of where we could go with this.

All the work we need to do is within our own minds. We all set-up a social phobia world programme which everyone joins, like doing homework or assignments and we have the support of everyone here with hundreds of different views and opinions - its great becuase we can all work and be thinking about the same things everyday which would give us tremendous strength and energy to KNOW we are doing this with others and if someone has a hard time we give encouragement and support - can you see the potential results of this. Awesome, we need to start it.

Jack

Chilling__Echo

young said:
Scottish_Player said:

That's really not to far from a real therapists. In my experiences, and it may just be my experinces, but the therapists I've seen didn't really give much feedback. They seemed cold and lifeliss. They'd nod their head. And ask a question or two. Right somethind down. And just sit there all creepy like.

i've seen so many therapists - going to college and seeing the counseling center, i've seen at least 3 different ones, not to mention the psychiatrists i see (or have seen) at home. most of them had all kinds of degrees and shit but it took one simple, counselor to really make a difference for me.

i saw a lady with a freaking Ph.D. and all she did was sit there and make conversation. no help whatsoever... :roll:

young

Chilling__Echo said:
young said:
Scottish_Player said:

i've seen so many therapists - going to college and seeing the counseling center, i've seen at least 3 different ones, not to mention the psychiatrists i see (or have seen) at home. most of them had all kinds of degrees and shit but it took one simple, counselor to really make a difference for me.

i saw a lady with a freaking Ph.D. and all she did was sit there and make conversation. no help whatsoever... :roll:

The last therapist I went to was an experience, I will never forget! 8O

I was nervous the whole time. Antzy, and fidgety. I almost walked out of it. Before I even got there. But somehow I pulled it together. I was shaky, and nautious the whole time. So I get in there. We go over the basics. Yada yada. She tells me what she does. She is a "talk therapist" Where she just listens to you talk. So when she handed the proverbial mic over to me. I almost had a heart attacks. My god those mins moved so fast on that clock. I still don't know how I got out of there alive. Without running out the room screaming pulling out my hair.

And she said it was common for patients to see her 4 times a week. My God! Needless to say I never saw here again.

cLavain

young said:
She tells me what she does. She is a "talk therapist" Where she just listens to you talk.
Much like a normal therapist, then...

I'm considering becoming a "watch carpenter" myself. I'll charge the same as a normal carpenter, but then I'll just sit there watching the customer build his own house. :roll:

GissmoTo

'are you with us

Jack-B said:
Gissmoto,

Excellent.

If you read my post titled 'are you with us?' you will get a flavour of where we could go with this.

All the work we need to do is within our own minds. We all set-up a social phobia world programme which everyone joins, like doing homework or assignments and we have the support of everyone here with hundreds of different views and opinions - its great becuase we can all work and be thinking about the same things everyday which would give us tremendous strength and energy to KNOW we are doing this with others and if someone has a hard time we give encouragement and support - can you see the potential results of this. Awesome, we need to start it.

Jack

I've searched your topic and found a term of grand step-by-step solution.
Could you explain that ..?

ReMi

Social Phobia & internet

I likes this topic . :lol:

Anyway I look for someone who contributes my research. I currently consider the development of internet therapy for social phobia. So I would like to listen you guys’ opinions regarding the issue.

If you are designing an internet tool for social phobia treatment, what kinds of functions or components might be needed ??? :idea: For example, Videochat room, bulletin board, Q&A (ask expert system), Online tasks for exposing to specific social situations..and so on..

I look forward you guys' answer

If I disrupt this topic, I apologise really…

ReMi

GissmoTo said:
Do you believe that social phobic people’s social activities in a cyber world give a certain influence to improve the real-world’s personal relationship?

I would like to add this article for your questions...

http://www.rider.edu/suler/psycyber/transference.html

The psychoanalytic concept of "transference" is especially important for understanding online relationships. Because the experience of the other person often is limited to text, there is a tendency for the user to project a variety of wishes, fantasies, and fears onto the ambiguous figure at the other end of cyberspace. The "blending" of one's mind with the other, as some users describe the experience of relating in cyberspace, may reflect this transference process. In fact, some users describe this blending of mind with the computer itself. Transference to the computer and to other users may interact in very subtle, complex ways. As one avid cybernaut once told me, "wherever I go on the internet, I discover myself."

Jack-B

ReMi

Thanks for disrupting this topic. It appears to me at least that you really would like to help. Excellent.

I too consider the development of internet therapy for social phobia but i know next to nothing about how to go about doing it. I feel it would be a great idea and know of someone who builds and constructs websites, ummmmmm, maybe i should ask her!

I feel this will be a work in progress but will get back to you if i find out anymore or come up with any ideas.

Thanks

Jack

ReMi

Jack-B said:
ReMi

Thanks for disrupting this topic. It appears to me at least that you really would like to help. Excellent.

I too consider the development of internet therapy for social phobia but i know next to nothing about how to go about doing it. I feel it would be a great idea and know of someone who builds and constructs websites, ummmmmm, maybe i should ask her!

I feel this will be a work in progress but will get back to you if i find out anymore or come up with any ideas.

Thanks

Jack

Thanks Jack.
I lookfowrd your update.