Hello, I am new to this place. Anyone can help with this dilemma??

910ocd

I want to point out my OCD mind tells me to not resist the compulsive urges or I will lose certain memories like family and the beach or someone I love will get hurt. I have bought so many OCD books to get to work on but I can't ever get around to it because of OCD-related compulsions like turning back five pages for each "bad" thought I have thus, hindering whatever progress I had in my workbook.

I really want to get on with my life and let go of the disorder because I'm turning 24 this August and I don't have much left in my 20's(lol). I'm tired of seeing the therapist and on top of it, they closed the office on the 25th of May without notice. Yeah, I found out when I showed up to a empty parking lot on the 7th of June and there was a notice on the door. Now I have to drive 30 miles to their main office.

I have the following books I want to get to so I CAN beat my OCD:

Brain Lock by Jeffrey Schwartz
The OCD Workbook by Bruce Hyman
Rewire Your Brain by John Arden

I have two months left before I finally return to CC after a two-year break. I can't have this disorder bothering me for 13 more years(had it since 10 years old)

EDIT: Before you say find a new therapist, I don't feel comfortable having to start all over again with a new therapist while I have so much info I have said to my therapist and their office. I can afford the gas for the betterment of my health but no more ice cream. Ugh.

Last edited:
I think it was very unprofessional of them to not have notified you that they were closing. That would really upset me because I have a hard time adapting to a new place much less a new psychiatrist (i'm assuming it was a psychiatrists office). They were totally in the wrong by just up and shutting the doors and then you have a 60 mile round trip to continue with your visits. Is there any similar outfit closer to you? Could the main office refer you and send your records to somebody else? Welcome to social phobia world :)

910ocd

Thanks for welcoming me and yes, they even have not returned my call/message for an appointment request this week. I'm at this point where my OCD is the most severe and where I feel it's time for change at its highest level.

910ocd

Quote: "I want to point out my OCD mind tells me to not resist the compulsive urges or I will lose certain memories like family and the beach or someone I love will get hurt."​

Just try resisting the urges for 5 minutes, and see how you feel. I have been scared to resist my compulsions because I worried it was unethical to just ignore it. But after I do, I end up feeling more clearheaded and logical.

So trust me, just do it once as a scientific experiment, JUST IN CASE it actually improves your memory, and no one gets hurt. Then think of how much more good you can do in the world. If something bad happens, it was worth it because you were only trying to see if you could do more good in the world. See? that's not unethical, and something you can live with yourself for doing.

So my point is, just try it, and you'll feel more powerful.

And if it is too scary, then just keep trudging along reading Brain Lock because it's a great book and will probably convince you that it's good to resist the urges. So keep trying, don't give up, and make sure to read Brain Lock!!! I'm rooting for you, cheering you on every step of the way.

No homo(lol) but I love you for just saying that. Thank you very much.