driving

thelostworld

does anyone else have a problem driving? it is one of the most stressful activities for me and i don't know why. i'm so nervous people are staring at me (which they are) that i like can't stay at a constant speed or something..it's weird...im thinkin of gettin my windows tinted

maggie

I hate driving, just for the simple fact there are others on roads as well :roll: I hate when someone is right up on my ass, like they are trying to rush me!! I have tinted windows, but it's only allowed on back windows, and side windows, but not at driver's window, so I still am paranoid! I hate passing people, will avoid it almost all the time. (except a tractor, cause I live in the country) The worst is the traffic lights, 4-way stops, hate those! I always stare straight ahead, or try to look busy at red lights, but always feel like a dork, cause I think people beside me are staring at me! :?

Colin

I try to avoid driving at all costs. I sometimes get stuck with DD duty because I'm the only driver who doesn't drink. I spend half my time staring at the spedometer to make sure I am precisely 10 km above the speed limit so I won't anger the drivers behind me.
Driving in the country is awful too, I never pass anybody and I constantly get this long line of cars behind me. I deal with it by pretending I am a convoy leader, it works.

But if it's a choice between driving and public transport... :wink:

kattness

im to scared to even get the form.... i keep thinking the worst things are going to happen. :D

wutnow

8) I tinted my windows because of that. It didnt' do me any good, I still felt like a geek around town, but like a dork on the freeway.

It (window tinting) does keep the car cooler in the hot sun though. Shop around too, I was quoted $300 (1988 dollars) and $100 (1988d) in (2) different states. One place told me they needed to keep the car for three days. The place I got it done at, did it in 4 hours/ $110 (1988d).

Next time you are at a light three or four rows back, look ahead at the drivers in front of you and observe what they are doing. They're all probably just looking ahead 8O or at the radio. For instance, I've never had the guy in front of me actually turn his head around to look at me at a stoplight - it just isn't realistic. I mean, if he did, I'd wave or something.

The worst thing is making a left (right turn for others) turn across waiting traffic. It's like running half a lap in a large stadium. All the people waiting are blaming you for making them wait :evil: .

But think about it, really; that's the way the system works and everyone is subject to it. What - I feel guilty because I've made too many green lights? Hell no, I'm happy as hell and if anyone is really looking at me, it's only for the amount of time it takes me to cross in front of them.

It still bothers me a little bit, so I wear sunglasses almost all the time, but it's gotten much easier. I mean, really, I can honestly say this one isn't my fault :D . It's about freakin' time :!: .

dan246

For some reason I love driving. I have driven on the highway a lot so passing/getting passed doesn't bother me. When I first started driving I would get nervous when people got right on my ass. Now I just ignore them and let them pass when they get a chance. I still get nervous in parking lots. I also hate snow and ice. No matter how much I drive in it, I still get sketched out. And of course I still get nervous on the RARE occasions when I stall my car at a stoplight with a huge line of cars behind me. I remember being nervous on hill-stops but I've mastered the clutch so I don't even think about that anymore. And finally, new cities always get me a little tense. You don't know which lanes are turn lanes, you don't really know where you're going, and everyone around you knows exactly what they're doing. But 99.9% of the time I am more relaxed in my car than when I'm not. Oh, I should add that I hate riding with other people. There are only a few people I trust behind the wheel. I feel much better when I’m in control.

maggie

Colin, it's funny what you said about driving 10km above the speed limit, I do exactly the same thing, all the time, no faster. Plus, don't want to go slower and piss anybody off. But, I do live in the country, and always end up behind transport truck or tractor, and I won't pass :roll: , so I have that whole convoy thing happening too :wink: . Always sunglasses when I drive, 8) but I still always feel like a dork. At night is a little better, the dark is comforting, but still hate red lights.

Chilling__Echo

it took me forever to get my license. i still don't like it alot of times b/c i feel like i'm holding someone up. then again alot of the time i also have road rage and want to kill someone... 8)

Toad

I don't like driving at all either, but I just don't like it because I'm always worried I will get lost and have to stop and ask for directions, or call someone. Pretty stupid though since ive never gotten lost...oh well. I do get a little pissed if people trail right on me though, feels like they're stalking me or something.

For some reason I love driving. I have driven on the highway a lot so passing/getting passed doesn't bother me. When I first started driving I would get nervous when people got right on my ass. Now I just ignore them and let them pass when they get a chance. I still get nervous in parking lots. I also hate snow and ice. No matter how much I drive in it, I still get sketched out. And of course I still get nervous on the RARE occasions when I stall my car at a stoplight with a huge line of cars behind me. I remember being nervous on hill-stops but I've mastered the clutch so I don't even think about that anymore. And finally, new cities always get me a little tense. You don't know which lanes are turn lanes, you don't really know where you're going, and everyone around you knows exactly what they're doing. But 99.9% of the time I am more relaxed in my car than when I'm not. Oh, I should add that I hate riding with other people. There are only a few people I trust behind the wheel. I feel much better when I’m in control.

Im the same way.. I love driving, its very comforting and relaxing for me. I dont know why.. I guess its just because I feel like I have so much more control. I see people on the road quite often that I know from school, but they usually dont notice me, and when they do they just smile and wave and then go on about their business. I guess its because I never have to worry about talking to anybody, unless there is somebody riding with me, and even if I were to piss somebody off on the road, chances are I'll never see them again.. and if I do they probably wouldnt remember it. I get a bit nervous sometimes at stoplights though.. when somebody comes up behind me pretty fast I feel like they arent going to stop sometimes, and cops also make me a bit paranoid :p. Where I live its very hilly and there are a lot of trees so there are a lot of ups and downs and blind curves... very fun to drive fast on but its hard to spot cops until its usually too late. Fortunatly I havnt ever been pulled, yet :lol:.

I dont like riding with other people either.. I use to not mind it very much but I was in an accident riding with a friend a couple years ago when somebody pulled out in front of us.. we couldnt even see them until we plowed into their car and pushed it through the intersection into another car.. so now i get worried when riding with someone if i cant see well or if they arent paying much attention.