Bananas

Scottish_Player

Today i had a dentist appiontment, i even phoned it and arranged it myself lol, iam really nervous of the dentist and well the SA just adds to it, My appointment was at 4.20 and i hadnt ate since i woke up becuase of the nervous of it all but one thing i do find help settle my stomach and take away the sickly feeling is bananas, they are hard to eat at the time but the do help me once i manage to eat one.

I think its something to do with them having a natural beta blocker in them?

I just wanted to share this little bit of info for those that dont know about it, it does help me a little but iam not saying it totaly cures me and it may not work for everyone but its worth a try :wink:

chaseme

lovehatething

thx for sending that in :D i love bananas ! i dont suffer from SA however if i ever feel stressed i eat the one thing i love.....a banana ! Haha probably scaring you now, at least you have something to take off your mind, and hope the dentist was fine, dont worry i know its especially hard for you, but dentists are the worst !

Scottish_Player

Hiya, the dentist went as good as possible lol

It was only for a check up, when i go back to get the work done she said she is going to give me valium to take before i come in :D :D to take the edge off things she said

chaseme

lovehatething

aaw
well im glad everything went good, dont u find u feel really stupid afterwards thinking, wot was i worrying about in the first place? i feel like that alot !

Scottish_Player

Yeh, after i come out i just feel such a releif, and like you said i think to my self why all the worry? but no matter how much i tell myself not to let things like that bother me and even if i know the outcome is going to be ok i still get very anxious and nervouse but i must admit that over the past year it has been getting a little bit easier day by day :D

chaseme

lovehatething

yea, I hate it when people say 'why you worrying that will never happen' i tend to think of the WEIRDEST scenarios that could happen, and then when you think of them more and more you actually think the strangest thing wil become true ! - if that makes any sense?!?!? :?
:lol:

Mary

About Banana's I read a article today that says that banana's are very good to help deal with stress and deppression because they contain tryptophan, a type of protein that changes to serotonin, known to help relax, improve mood and general happiness!
So there you go! All this time we've been wasting money on Meds! LOL!
:wink:
But seriously it is worth a try, and if it doesn't work it certainly won't hurt and I like banana's anyway! The article mentioned people with SAD especifically may benefit from this, and said to eat like 3 bananas a day
morning, noon and night I guess.
Go for it people! Go BANANAS! :lol:

Quixote

They are good for sport as well, they help prevent muscle exaustion after prolongued effort. (because of potassium I think)

Mary

I got the chance to try bananas for stress the other day and it seemed to work! Maybe it was just the placebo effect (me thinking it would work) but either way, it did!
(going now to stock up on bananas!) :wink:

boodizm

Sounds interesting might look into the banana thing see what else they help for. Nature after all makes the best medicine.
I was always the same as you when having to go to the dentist but i schedule it so i go every few months and it has desensitized me from the environment for the most part. It also helps that the people who work there are some of the nicest people i've met. I still don't enjoy the waiting rooms though.

black_mamba

I like bananas for various reasons when I'm feeling crap. One is they release energy slowly so if you're prone to irratability when you're hungry they're great for a snack. Two is they taste nice and are very easy to eat, unlike fumbling around with oranges and crisp packets and such like. And now, three, a potential mild anxiety treatment. Yay! :D

bluenow

Bananas have been so sweet lately that I have been eating at least one a day for a month now. I swear they really make me feel better. Depression and anxiety levels are way down - not gone - just much better.

tecknohed

I always worry about my breath smelling & brush my teeth twice before I go AND chew mint gum all the way there.:oops: Its only when I finally get 'my turn' and see both the Dentist & Assistent wearing masks that I realise I was fussing over nothing!:lol:

Yeah, I'm another banana lover hear, but I cann't eat them too ripe 'cause they get far too sweet & soft for me. They're perfect when they're still slightly green with NO bruises!
I think bananas have a collection of stuff in them which together might create a calming effect. Tryptophan yes, though theres not much in a single banana to make much difference alone. The sugar will of course raise any low levels caused by worrying and the fructose (fruit sugar) has a low G.I. index so will keep levels up for longer.
Bananas are also rich in Magnesium which has its own calming effect, especially on the muscles. Add all this together and you have an effective anxiety buster, & a tasty one at that!

And dont forget the Bananadine contained in the skins. Apparantly its only effective if prepare for smoking (freebased) & smoked, but maybe a tiny bit does get through to give an effect.8)

Teck.

Predacon

That is very interesting I might pick up some bananas and see if they help. Are there any other fruits or vegetables that have a similar effect?

renegade

Yeah, I heard from a source that chilli peppers are the source to happiness. Didn't know why yet, i'm too lazy to google it out.

But I guess I'll choose bananas instead :D

tecknohed

renegade said:
Yeah, I heard from a source that chilli peppers are the source to happiness. Didn't know why yet, i'm too lazy to google it out.

But I guess I'll choose bananas instead :D

Apparently it has something to do with endorphines. Some people actually get kinda addicted to chilli. Like my partner's dad - he must have a load of ground chilly with every meal (he's from Turky)! It seems that way way in other countries who use a lot of spices - just look at India!

But think how you feel when you eat very hot spicy food- first you might sweat and then there is pain - which in turn triggers your own endorphins.
Similar to half hour jog perhapse?

PunkyMonkey

I was doing something different for my job, and it was killing me. I went three days in a row, and it was almost pure torture. The fourth day though, I went, and suddenly it wasn't so bad. I was much calmer and more relaxed, and not as afraid. I stood there in boredom thinking about this. Then I thought of what I'd eaten before I'd came....two small banana's! I almost laughed out loud in amazement, remembering what I'd read in this post.
So today before leaving work, I picked up a big bunch of slightly green banana's...haha.

dzerklis

i don't notice any difference although eat them quite often. i must be immune to this tryptopan :?