Am I at fault for my bad relationship with my brother?

yesman

It kind of all started when I was in grade 3, and my brother was in grade 5. Now, we used to go to the same school, and whenever I saw him at school, I would scream "HI (insert name)". I was sincerely happy to meet him, but was upset because everytime I greeted him loudly and in a silly way, he would say stuff like "go away loser" or "shut up". (Plus his friends weren't very nice to me, and I remember getting punched in the stomach by one of them.)

Even though NOW I know that that's how brothers act normally, I didn't know it back then, so I was under the impression that he didn't want me! Thus began my crappy relationship with my brother. Every time he said something to me, I assumed that it was something rude, even though he usually just gave me advice. But sometimes, he would say the cruelest things, and do things like make fun of my Tourettes or screw my mind up (in this case, almost permanently).

I can't help thinking that I deserved this treatment, because A) I was rude to him because I was under the impression that he hated me, and B) I was oversensitive.

Anyway, NOWADAYS, our relationship is very good, and is in fact great. We get along, we look forward to seeing each other, and we share jokes and whatnot. He's in first year university, and I'm in grade 11. It's been so long since we got along this well.

But who's fault was it for our past relationship? Whenever I see siblings get along, I get so jealous and angry, because that was the relationship I wanted a long time ago.

Any help would be appreciated!

vanillabear

That's great that you're getting along now. I wish I had that type of relationship with my brother. Honestly I don't think either of you are at fault, it's just tough sometimes to get along with siblings since you're always around them and there isn't much "space" or privacy. Don't dwell too much on it, just focus on the present and future :)

paintedblue

You said it yourself, I think that's how some brothers are when they are kids. Its seems like you guys have outgrown that phase. If you've got to the point where you're having a great relationship with your brother now, then that's all that really matters, you're not at fault nor is he, nobody is, its just the way things happened.

Hoppy

You are getting along now, that is all that really matters.

The rest is 10 years ago, forget about it. He probably did.

MikeyC

I greeted him loudly and in a silly way, he would say stuff like "go away loser" or "shut up". (Plus his friends weren't very nice to me, and I remember getting punched in the stomach by one of them.)
His friends were probably a bad influence on him, which is why he said those things to you.

You're getting along now, so just take it as it is now, and enjoy it. :)

yesman

Thanks everyone, for the kind words and responses. :) I feel much better about our new relationship, and have put the past behind.